LAMB ON A ROD
Adapted from: BBQ USA by Steven Raichlen (Workman Publishing, 2003)
1-1/2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
Youll also need:
1. Place the lamb in a mixing bowl and sprinkle the dried mint, salt, and black pepper over it. Toss the meat with your fingers to mix. Stir in the garlic and 2 tablespoons of the oil and let marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for 30 minutes. Brush the remaining 2 tablespoons of the oil on the horn peppers, the baby bells, the onion quarters, and the plum tomatoes.
2. Thread the marinated lamb on skewers, placing a fresh mint leaf between each piece of meat. Thread the green peppers, the baby bell peppers, the onion quarters, and the plum tomatoes on separate skewers, alternating the vegetables in an attractive pattern.
3. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
4. When ready to grill, brush and oil the grill grate. Place the lamb and vegetable kebabs on the hot grate and grill until the lamb is cooked to medium, 2 to 3 minutes per side (8 to 12 minutes in all) and the vegetables are tender.
5. Unskewer the lamb and vegetables onto a platter or plates. (Dont eat the lamb or vegetables off the hot metal skewers, or youll burn your lips.) Serve the lamb with the
tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
© 2006 Steven Raichlen | site design Benjamin Wilchfort