Nashville Sweet Barbecue Sauce
Yield: 3 cups
1. Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice and zest, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, mustard, onion powder, and pepper in a nonreactive saucepan and whisk to mix. Let the sauce gradually come to a simmer over medium heat and simmer until thick and flavorful, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 to 8 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 3 to 4 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2. If not serving the sauce immediately, let cool to room temperature. Transfer to clean glass jars and refrigerate until serving; the sauce will keep for several weeks. Bring to room temperature before using.
© 2006 Steven Raichlen | site design Benjamin Wilchfort