Cinnamon Grilled Peaches
Method: direct grilling
- 4 large ripe freestone peaches
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 8 fresh mint leaves
1. Cut the peaches in half, running the knife in a circular motion around the peach to the stone. Twist the halves in opposite directions to separate them. Pop out the stone with a spoon and discard. Cut each peach half in half. Using a pointed chopstick or metal skewer, make a starter hole in the center of each peach quarter (from outside to pit side). Skewer two peach quarters on each cinnamon stick, placing a mint leaf between each.
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted buttter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
2. Prepare the glaze. Combine the butter, sugar, rum, cinnamon, and salt in a saucepan and boil until thick and syrupy, 5 minutes.
3. Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush and oil the grill grate.
4. Grill the peaches until nicely browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side, basting with the bourbon butter. Serve at once. Peach or vanilla ice cream makes a great accompaniment.
© 2006 Steven Raichlen | site design Benjamin Wilchfort